Tuesday, April 17, 2018

HOPE IS THE THING WITH FEATHERS

Song Sparrow
Upstate South Carolina

"Hope" is the Thing with Feathers
By Emily Dickinson

"Hope" is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I've heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of me.

2 comments:

  1. The photo and the poem go so well together. ED wrote so many poems... I didn't know this one but it's just rocketted up my ED charts!

    Ps: solitary cyclist is sackerson. The comment box wouldn't recognize sackerson's credentials for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dominic! Glad you liked this poem and image. Don't know what the problem is with the comment box, but let me know if it happens again. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete