Wednesday, June 24, 2020

THE BUTTERFLY DREAM

Monarch

Once upon a time,
I dreamt I was a butterfly,
fluttering hither and thither,
to all intents and purposes a butterfly.
I was conscious only of my happiness
as a butterfly, unaware that I was myself. 

Soon I awaked, and there I was, 
veritably myself again. Now I do not know
whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly,
or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.

Chuang Tzu
Chinese philosopher of 4th century BC
(also known a Zhuang Zhou and Zhuangzi)

4 comments:

  1. At first their flight seems undirected but its not.
    More than us they are in the Dao.
    I became one, a Red Admiral, resting from the strong wind on a sunny pebble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a beautiful comment, John. We can read Chuang Tzu and Lao Tzu, but we can also learn how to live in the Tao by just observing butterflies and other creatures. If we can master the art of "resting from the strong wind on a sunny pebble," we can manage almost anything that comes our way.

      Delete
  2. Superb photo. We don't have monarchs here in England - apart from HRH of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. Monarchs are migratory, overwintering in Mexico and returning to the states in warmer weather. They are one of the supreme delights of summer.

      Delete