Friday, June 19, 2020

MOVING THROUGH THE HERON'S DREAM

Great Blue Heron

In the poem below, Vermont poet T. Alan Broughton captures much of what I personally experience when I spend time observing a great blue heron fishing in shallow waters or standing in priestly solitude on the edge of a marsh.  When Broughton speaks of the "bird that stays with me," or the "heron's dream to share his sky and water," or the heron's evening flight "through the dying sun and out again," I know precisely what he means, for I, too, have been enchanted by herons for most of my life.

Great Blue Heron
By T. Alan Broughton

                         I drive past him each day in the swamp where he stands
                         on one leg, hunched as if dreaming of his own form
                         the surface reflects.  Often I nearly forget to turn left,
                         buy fish and wine, be home in time to cook and chill.
                         Today the bird stays with me, as if I am moving through
                         the heron's dream to share his sky or water — places
                         he will rise into on slow flapping wings or where
                         his long bill darts to catch unwary frogs.  I've seen
                         his slate blue feathers lift him as dangling legs
                         fold back, I've seen him fly through the dying sun
                         and out again, entering night, entering my own sleep.
                         I only know this bird by a name we've wrapped him in,
                         and when I stand on my porch, fish in the broiler,
                         wine glass sweating against my palm, glint of sailboats
                         tacking home on dusky water, I try to imagine him
                         slowly descending to his nest, wise as he was 
                         or ever will be, filling each moment with that moment's 
                         act or silence, and the evening folds itself around me.


From T. Alan Broughton's 
book of poetry, "A World Remembered"

No comments:

Post a Comment