Wednesday, June 3, 2020

SYMBOLS OF HOPE IN TROUBLED TIMES

Grasshopper Sparrow

Faced with the deadly coronavirus pandemic, a collapse of the American economy, more than forty million people unemployed, chronic racism and racial violence, rioting and looting provoked by opportunistic anarchists, and a narcissistic president who has neither the empathy nor the competence to deal effectively with any of these pressing issues, it is increasingly difficult to greet each day with any sense of hope for the future.  Indeed, many of us live with a gnawing feeling that we are treading on the hard edge of despair.

There is always hope, however, if we just look for it in the right places, and one of the places I personally choose is nature.  In nature, we are constantly reminded that everything is interconnected, that beauty is always a manifestation of contrast, and that diversity is central to all growth, survival, and prosperity.

Within the natural world, birding is a particular source of inspiration for me.  Think for a moment about the small grasshopper sparrow belting out its morning song in the photo at the top of this posting.  These sparrows are so fragile — an average weight of six tenths of an ounce — that it is hard to imagine how they survive the devastating  storms that have been passing through my area in the past few weeks.  They have done more than survive, however; they have prevailed and risen at first light to deliver new gifts of beauty, song, and friendship.  This, to me, is the essence of hope.

Below are some images of other inspirational birds I have spent time with lately.  I have also paired these images with inspirational quotes on hope by some of the people I have long admired. Enjoy.


Dickcissel

"Hope" is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all.

Emily Dickinson

                                                         
Blue Grosbeak

Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird,
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes


Barn Owl

There is a crack
 in everything.
That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen




 Northern Rough-necked Swallow

You do not need to know precisely what is happening, or exactly where it is all going.  What you need is to recognize the possibilities and challenges offered by the present moment, and to embrace them with courage, faith and hope."
 Thomas Merton


Dickcissel

      We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.
Martin Luther King Jr.



Blue Grosbeak

 The future is an infinite succession of presents, 
and to live now as we think human beings should live, 
in defiance of all that is bad around us,
is itself a marvelous victory.

Howard Zinn


Dickcissel


You an cut all the flowers 
but you cannot keep Spring from coming.

Pablo Neruda


Barn Swallow

The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something.  Don't wait for good things to happen to you.  If you go out and make some good things happen, you will feel the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope."

Barack Obama 
  
      Grasshopper Sparrow

PEACE

             

7 comments:

  1. Good to see you back. Beautiful pictures of beautiful nature. I read somewhere that it's important not to focus on the painful & difficult world occurrences but on the spirit, the light, yes, in all its shapes! thank you George for these reminders. Morelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind and generous comments, Morelle. Yes, I agree that it's vitally important to focus on the light, in all of its shapes, while we do what we can to address the things that trouble us. So good to reconnect with you. I look forward to continuing our conversation.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a package of inspiration. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, John, for your kind and generous comment.

      Delete
  4. George, is it really you? I read your posts down to here where I'll comment. I know many of these quotes. The Langston Hughes' one I had hanging in my kitchen when the children were young. Your photos make me feel like I'm in the scene, viewing the beauty firsthand. Are you still painting? I hope you and your family stay well. Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Barb! Great to hear from you. Yes, it's really me. Glad you like the images. Not painting these days, except with light. I've been passionately involved in my photography, and I've also become a passionate birder. My wife and I are doing fine. It's a nutty period in American life, and we're just hoping it will be getting better in the not too distant future. All the best to you and your family.

      Delete