Saturday, June 20, 2020

OTHER EYES THAT DELIGHT IN BEAUTY

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail on Butterfly Bush

Thanks to fellow blogger John The Barman, who recently called my attention to a quote from Christina Rossetti's beautiful poem, "To What Purpose is this Waste."  It's a lovely passage, especially to lovers of birds and other wild creatures, so I will share it with you here: 

And other eyes than our's
Were made to look on flowers,
Eyes of small birds and insects small:
The deep sun-blushing rose
Round which the prickles close
Opens her bosom to them all.
The tiniest living thing
That soars on feathered wing,
Or crawls among the long grass out of sight,
Has just as good a right
To its appointed portion of delight
As any King.


4 comments:

  1. I belong a Poetry Group George. Once a month we meet and read our favourite poems. At present, because of lockdown, we are doing our meetings on Zoom - this month's is on Wednesday. I am now going to look up the whole poem - it seems just right to read at this time of the year, so thank you for showing it to me. Happy Solstice to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Pat. Glad you liked this quote, and I hope you will find it useful in your next meeting of the Poetry Group. As I recall, Christina Rossetti wrote this poem when she was only twenty-two years old.

      Delete
  2. I've often thought it interesting that the same bright colours that are intended to attract insects also are pleasing to our eye, though it's also true that some butterflies are a lot less dainty in their tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since humans and insects share a lot of building blocks, in terms of DNA and genes, it doesn't surprise me that we also share attraction to certain bright colors. In my opinion, we are more connected that many would like to admit. That said, I'm no biologist; just a retired guy speculating about matters beyond my expertise.

    ReplyDelete